Sunday, October 11, 2009

Half-Pint

Well, it's Sunday morning and I'm home with Caleb and Gavin.  Caleb has a cold, so it's a great time to put down some thoughts.  
Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think I would love to burn and chop wood.  Oh, ya!  OOH,OH,OOH! (Tim the tool man grunt)  I chopped some wood this morning!  We needed kindling.  So I went out in my skirt, tennis shoes, and an axe.  And I chopped some up.  It was great!!!  Caleb was scared, he said Moms don't do that kinda thing.  Half-Pint did and so can I.  You know, I don't want to be a women that can't do anything for herself.  I'm a wimp when it comes to pain, so why not be manly when I can.  It's a great way to let off some steam.  So if you want a good laugh drive by and you may just catch me chopping.  The axe only got stuck in the ground once!  I thought that was pretty good.  The fire starting thing is going good too.  I can get a pretty good fire going and don't need much paper.  OOh, Oh, OOh!  Ok this is sounding pretty prideful.  Sorry, but I really enjoy this new adventure.  Now ask me again in the middle of winter and it might be a different story.  
When I think of Half-pint, I think of how their lives where back then.  They never knew when something might happen, so they where always prepared.  We don't live in wood cabins, or a soddy house, but we do live in difficult times. So I feel, that I should do what I can now, to learn how to take care of my family.  If it's by starting a fire, chopping wood, canning, or making homemade bread. ( I love to make homemade bread!)  Or even learning something else, I'm willing if it benefits my growing and my family.  We should always be growing and learning.  To sit idle is lazy.  Proverbs 13:4 says " Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper."  Isn't that what we should strive for.  The people in the pioneer days, worked and worked.  They where fulfilled in what they did because it mattered.  What we do matters!  What I put my hand to matters to my husband, the boys, our home, and to our family and friends.  I matter!  Back in the pioneer days if you didn't work you didn't survive.  You did not make it and neither did your family.  So I want to be a Half-Pint.  Work hard and see the accomplishments.  
Well that's my soap box for the day!  Make a fire!  Chop some wood!  Bake some bread!  It feels good and it matters!  
Modern day Half-Pint

No comments:

Post a Comment