I love making homemade bread!!! I just wish I had more time to make it more often. I'll get there. It is so nice to know what is in there, lately I've been buying my bread and I want to cringe when I realize its been in there for a week and still looks and smells great. ( thought of you Linda!) So heres my recipe. It's not that hard it just takes time, but wait until you bite into the first piece!!!
Makes 2 loaves
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 cups very warm water
6 cups flour (remember not to use bleached flour, Your eating bleach, really you are)
2/3 cup dry milk
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (remember to get aluminum free, health food stores carry it)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1. combine yeast and water, in small bowl, let the yeast set on top and set aside
2. In a very large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, mix well
3. Add oil to yeast and water mix slowly, than add to dry mixture
4. Mix well with hands ( Make sure your hands are clean! LOL)
5. After you have some sort of a ball in the bowl, put some flour on your working area, take ball out of bowl and continue mixing on surface. Push out with palms of your hand than fold sides to middle and repeat. This takes sometime to get used to, but you need to work it until you don't feel any bumps, You don't want to work it to much though.
6. put in bowl and let rise for 45 min.
7. take out of bowl and knead on surface (put flour down so it doesn't stick) Only kneed about 15 to 20 times.
8. separate into 2 loaves put in lightly oiled bread pans. Let rise about 45 min. or when it is sticking up above your pan.
9. Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 min. or until nice and brown on top. Bread will be a medium brown.
If this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry. Had a 5 year old needing everything but the kitchen sink.